Solus Master
Re: Prestige investment

Postby M-Williams » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 pm

My flasks always up in the oven.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 am

If you have engravings-tight lettering, after you mix your investment brush some into the engraving while you vacuum the bowl. Or you could mix some up to fill the lettering. I found it better to have it set up a little before filling the flask. I tried filling in the lettering and have it set up completely then invest the flask. But this did not work to well because would not stick to investment and would break away during burn out. Best if it's still a little wet when filling flask.
ELYPSI
Novice

Postby ELYPSI » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:58 pm

My problem with plasticast investment is that sometimes engravings broke and detach from the flask. I also tried to add a boric-water to the investment to strengthen it. And yes the investment was hardener, and almost becomes a rock, I need a hammer and a chisel to break it,jajaja, that´s a joke. Anyway I hope to solve it with prestige investment.
Attachments
IMG_4363 B_Ink_LI.jpg
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:38 am

One more important detail with plasticast investment . I bench set my flasks overnight. In my opinion the Emerald when fully cured casts way better than the epic.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:44 am

You should not have to add Boric acid to Plasticast. Just need to watch your water ratio. Also might try and tilt the ring so the engraving is more up than on its side. And as above, coat the engraved section before investing flask.
ELYPSI
Novice

Postby ELYPSI » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 am

I also set my flasks overnight, water ratio 38/100 and always cure the emerald first microwave and uv minimum all nigth. For investing the flask I use a st. louise machine. For the next casting I´m thinking about change the flasks settig during burnout bottom up and also change the position of sprues. And of course use prestige optima. I will post the results. Thank you guys for your anwers this forum is a big part of solus. Very happy with my machine.
lklutts
Solus Expert

Postby lklutts » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:18 am

Cast with prestige investment
Attachments
20170211_112950.jpg
lklutts
Solus Expert

Postby lklutts » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:19 am

Another casting. Shank bottoms only
Attachments
20170211_113148.jpg
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:42 pm

lklutts wrote:Cast with prestige investment

What parameters did you use on the investment?

Looks like some defects on the underside and one of the prong arms. Ash perhaps? What resin did you use?
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:44 pm

ELYPSI wrote:My problem with plasticast investment is that sometimes engravings broke and detach from the flask. I also tried to add a boric-water to the investment to strengthen it. And yes the investment was hardener, and almost becomes a rock, I need a hammer and a chisel to break it,jajaja, that´s a joke. Anyway I hope to solve it with prestige investment.

Maybe when the metal slammed into the end of the part it eroded the engraving on the end? I wonder if you put a wax wire or two between the two parts would that help buffer the metal flow and save the engraving?

The big question would be if wax would do the same thing?