Trouble casting resin model? read this....

Discuss casting techniques
wawatobi
Novice
Trouble casting resin model? read this....

Postby wawatobi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:54 am

I bought a Projet 1200 threee years ago. I found it virtually impossible to cast the first resin that 3dm produced. I joined a forum for Rhinogold and a number of
us around the world began working on a solution. We eventually got reasonable results with phosphate bonded investment but even though 3dm came out with improved resins, we were never able to get consistent great results. I bought a Solus a year ago after my projet broke down. I was totally impresed with the quality of the models but I was never able to get consistently perfect casting unless i used the phosphate bonded investment. If any of you have used this stuff you know what I mean when I say it is a pain in the butt. First it is expensive but you have to line the flask and you can't misx it properly without a vacuum mixer. A couple of days ago, I read posts here about a casting procedure for Plasticast where you ramp the oven temperature up to 800 degrees f as fast as your oven can manage, hold for 1.5 hours, ramp full speed to 1400 and hold for 3 hours and drop to casting temp. I decided to try it today. I usually burn out for 10 hours. I started my burnout at 6:00 p.m. and cast at 12:00 a.m. I poured me a still rum and coke and divested. The result blew my mind. These castings came
out flawless. This procedure is going to change my life. I want to thank the folks on this forum for this rediculously quick and easy casting procedure. Mark, if possible, delete any casting advice I've put on this forum. This is my version.....

1 hour at 300 f to get rid of the sprue wax. fast ramp to 800 f and hold for 1.5 hours. fast ramp to 1375 f and hold for three hours. one hour ramp to casting temp.

Folks, I am 69 years old and I've been casting for 32 years, I was a professional engineer before that. For me, this is a game changer.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: Trouble casting resin model? read this....

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 am

Very interesting! I'm gonna ask my caster to try this.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am

wawatobi wrote:Mark, if possible, delete any casting advice I've put on this forum. This is my version.....

1 hour at 300 f to get rid of the sprue wax. fast ramp to 800 f and hold for 1.5 hours. fast ramp to 1375 f and hold for three hours. one hour ramp to casting temp.

Folks, I am 69 years old and I've been casting for 32 years, I was a professional engineer before that. For me, this is a game changer.

I'll do a search and link to this updated method.
nillard
Novice

Postby nillard » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:25 pm

I have been using that method for years works great!
MobiusJewelryDesign
Novice

Postby MobiusJewelryDesign » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Wow, cool beans! Is this burn out setting for plasti? I am wondering if the rapid temperature change makes the cast mold harder? I might have to try it. I use ultra vest because I thought that plasti had a bit of a rough texture comparative. Either way, kudos my man! Thanks for the share!
wawatobi
Novice

Postby wawatobi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Yes this was plasticast.
MobiusJewelryDesign
Novice

Postby MobiusJewelryDesign » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:40 pm

@wawatobi - How long do you bench cure your investment?
Christian K.
Novice

Postby Christian K. » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:45 am

Thanx !! Our oven heat up 7 Degrees celcius per minute.. is this too less??
Best regards
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:25 pm

I don't think their would be any problem as long as you follow the steps when desired temperature is reached.
kyjeweler
Novice

Postby kyjeweler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:27 pm

hello dear
wondering want to know what is casting temp degree. I am try to learn casting at home. thanks.