Can someone (someone who casts)maybe help me?

Discuss casting techniques
bastard74
Can someone (someone who casts)maybe help me?

Postby bastard74 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:42 am

So I work as a graphic designer at a product development company ...we primarily do development and sampling for the fashion industry...I use laser cutters, cnc machines, 3d printers, uv printers, fabric printers, embroidery machines and a whole host of other machines(including my solus) in order to create samples and one of a kind garments for runway and events like the Oscars..

Anyway, I'm a maker at heart and needless to say I love my job....having all these machines at my disposal and the ability to get paid doing what I love is a dream come true.

Aside from loving what I do, I love the people I work with,specifically the owner of the company I work for..iv been working for her for 5 years and she is not only the best boss iv ever had but she might be one of the best women iv ever met..I think I might even be in love with her..lol.

Anyway,she has been so supportive over the years and very trusting..all i need to do is mention us needing a new piece of equipment and she happily buys it for me..including her most recent purchase of a $100,000 fiber metal cutting laser (my newest toy)lol.

So , she has an event coming up and she was discussing with one of our customers,the designing of the dress she will be wearing that night and she mentioned how in love she is with a bracelet she saw online and how she would love to wear it that night but she couldn't spend that much..(I think its like 2 grand).

So it got me wishing I could make it for her...aside from saving her some money,I think it would mean a lot to her knowing I made it for her..I really want to do something nice for her..she's amazing.

Problem is that while we do some metal work at our factory,casting is not one of them and my 3d modeling skills are not quite good enough to make it (i mainly draw and print geometric stuff and im weak with organic shapes).

Its a bear skin rug bracelet and im thinking if i could get the head , feet and tail cast by someone,I could make the rest with my laser cutter and some hard work... (you'll understand when you see a picture of it)

I think the bracelet sold online is made of steel but I think I'd like to use silver (I have a bunch of old pre 1960 quarters id like to try and use (they were almost pure silver back then).

Anyway that's it!! I was hoping someone might be interested it casting the head,tail and paws for me...if so,can you respond with the cost for something like this? Like I said I think I have enough silver to make the parts so it would just be for the model and casting...I can do all the finishing and polishing myself I think.

I don't have much money so I need to save as much as possible by doing as much work as I can myself.

Money being a huge problem for me right now has me willing to actually offer the job for trade if someone here is in need of my services...like I said I can offer laser cutting (both CO2 and metal cutting fiber laser) all forms of printing and embroidery as well as sign making..(id be very generous in trade value as well).if not please let me know how much cash something like this would cost...I'm going try and post a photo of the bracelet but if you Google "Simon bear bracelet " you'll see many photos of it from what I believe are enough angels to properly render it...its the bracelet that looks like a bear skin rug with a chainmail body.

Anyway,thanks guys!!
Attachments
925_shj1780303fullsize.jpg
bastard74

Re: Can someone (someone who casts)maybe help me?

Postby bastard74 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:52 am

Btw, i posted asking about this a couple months ago but I was locked out of my account and I needed to create a new account so I posted again...I didnt have a photo of the bracelet back then anyway....if you responded then can you please do so again? I am unable to check mail from my old account
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:30 pm

You may run into problems getting someone to duplicate this for you since most artists will not copy someone else's work directly. It is too hard to vary it because the piece is so unique. Do you have any plans on changing the chain maile part of it?

That is a very cool bracelet though. Going for about $1400 USD and all in stainless steel with no precious metals or gemstones, you are paying for the labor more than anything.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:06 am

That bracelet has "OUCH" and "Crap another dress ruined".