Casting resins cherry, emerald

Discuss casting techniques
M-Williams
Solus Master
Re: Casting resins cherry, emerald

Postby M-Williams » Thu May 04, 2017 9:08 pm

From a closer look I see overheat. could be your flask, or you over killed your gold if you are using a torch.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:26 pm

after growing and cleaning , put them in your oven overnight at 150 F and then use UV to cure an hour ea. side then tree up , This is the best cast results method Iv had
jdwages
Novice

Postby jdwages » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm

I was getting the same type of results. I was using Plasticast also. I heard about Prestige Optima and ordered it, haven't been sorry and haven't touched the nearly new box of plasicast.
Surface is far superior than other castings I have made.

Stuller is the supplier this is from their website

I Prestige OPTIMA is a significant breakthrough by Certus to develop a new generation, gypsum bonded investment that consistently provides superior, smoother surface for casting today's resin patterns and a variety of other materials including:
1. Resin patterns (most all competitive brands)
2. Carving waxes
3. Standard injection waxes
4. Plastics
5. Wax based polymers
6. Hybrid wax/plastic patterns

Features:
•Highest mold expansion required for today's resin patterns
•Unmatched batch to batch quality & consistency. Zero defects policy
•E- Z mix formula. Mixes to a creamy, smooth, pourable slurry
•Incorporates environmentally friendly control chemicals for safety & stability
•Extra low rise of slurry under vacuum
•Superior temperature resistance for higher burnout temps.
•Greatly reduces porosity in the most difficult metals and saves time in finishing
•Eliminates water marks on cast surface
•Captures the most delicate details, time after time OPTIMA is the ultimate investment for casting palladium white gold and alloys that require higher temperatures for casting. The extra high expansion properties of OPTIMA allow for the investment to expand ahead of resin patterns and other high expanding pattern materials, thus avoiding flashing, or cracking of the mold. Optima "Far Surpasses the Industry Standard" in all categories for investment.have made with any other investment.
Gtg330
Novice

Postby Gtg330 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:14 pm

I used the b9 emerald and optima and have had ok results but im now getting great results and I belive the cure on the resin and letting investment sit for 5-6 hours before burnout is the key. I have used optima investment but ran out so im using plasticast now with same results so both investments work equally well. im using a cheap 36 watt uv nail dryer and let sit overnight but most pieces are on the small side and thinner so It seems its strong enough for that stuff but thicker pieces I don't think its strong enough to cure fully. I used to microwave like many people suggested but I stopped and still get good castings. my burnout is full ramp too 1100 and hold 1.5 hours the ramp to 1500 hold for 6 hours then to cast temp.
Dovydas
Novice

Postby Dovydas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Gtg330 do you have any pictures of your castings to share ?

I have tried everything, only thing I'm thinking now is I need extra air flow in my kiln, or my kiln does not reach required temperature for resin fully to burn. Does any of you know how to check temperature inside the kiln ?

Thanks,D
dcpattni
Novice

Postby dcpattni » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:17 pm

@Dovydas

My and yr oven is same.....i have not yet start using.....but i was told in 3dcadjewelry.com/fourms
http://3dcadjewelry.com/forum/showthrea ... ald-(green)-B9-resign&p=212010#post212010

I'm worried after reading many fourms ramp are using more then 10ramp/min.....our oven has max 10ramp/min....
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:58 pm

A way to check temperature is to use firing cones that react at specific temperature ranges.

The other is a temperature thermocouple on a meter, but that is way more expensive than the cones. ;-)
Dovydas
Novice

Postby Dovydas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Dipen , please do let me know what kind of result you going to get from your Argenta furnace. I have friend who tried casting several time using argenta furnace, but result were no good ! :(

How many of you do pump extra air into a kiln, would be good to know?
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:13 pm

I do not. I have never had a need too. That being said I do use a large oven. 12 x 12 x 10 internal dimensions.
Dovydas
Novice

Postby Dovydas » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Thank you Archem,

I do use large furnace too, you can find some images attached on this thread above. How fast your furnace raise temperature ? Do you keep your flask hole facing down ? Do you let flask to touch furnace floor?