you have done so much work and spared the time
with details & pictures :idea:
thanks a lot for sharing your experience
-Philip
Storen
Novice

Re: Casting SolusCast

Postby Storen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Printcast, thanks again for your detailed and honest review! I wish someone from Jewelryservices joins the discussion to share their method in similar fashion, with pictures of the process.

I am surprised how much adding boric acid helped. Now the eyes of the skull are well defined. We can still see problems on the surface and in the finer details but at a much lesser degree.
A.Joa1
Novice

Postby A.Joa1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:48 pm

I also want to thank Printcast for taking the time to do and share these tests for the benefit of everyone. Still is hard to believe that the Solus team, after 2 years of testing and with the experience of the amazing SolusProto, would release a not good castable resin. Maybe there is something else in the equation that needs to be explained. Maybe SolusCast needs a different curing procedure than Emerald in order to fully cure and cast perfectly. I agree with Storen that the experts need to join the discussion and help explain what is happening.
Printcast, how about the print quality/surface, is it better than Emerald or is it the same?
dcpattni
Novice

Postby dcpattni » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Printcast thanks for spending your time and I was really waiting for SC resin so much excited, :(:(:(.....wish they get better solution....

Thanks
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:33 pm

I will ask Alex from jewelryservices.com to join the forum and weigh in on your casting results. We have had nothing but great casting results with them and also other casting shops ( including Artistry of Gold and High Tech casting) who's services we used to test the resin. They all casted with their own casting methods.

Obviously there are no guarantees when it comes to casting and there are many variables at play. For example we have customers who have great results casting the emerald and some who just cannot cast it well no matter what. Same with any resin. That is why we offer sample prints for people to try the casting with before they make their purchase, to see how well it works for them.

If we had nothing but great results during testing of course we wouldn't even move forward with releasing the resin. That is counter productive and makes no sense.

We appreciate all posts on the forum, and don't plan on removing anything, as long as it is made clear that these are your own specific results and experiences, which Jim has done so far and we appreciate that.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Emil,

I am absolutely not trying to down you guys. I seriously love everything about my Solus machine. It's virtually flawless and bulletproof. I'm not happy with spending $300 for resin that's not casting for me, only needing to spend another $200 for more Emerald so I can continue to operate. Who can be happy about spending $500 on resin. I'll go back on that string to the find the guy who said he would buy it from me.

Also, I'm not, as you mentioned, saying this is the results others will get. This is the results I got. Other's may have a better outcome. We would all really like to see others document as I did and show their process as I have. If one person can cast this others using the same process can too.

Someone asked about finish. It seems to me, but I would like to test it more, that Turbo prints a little rougher. That maybe Turbo goes to 30 where where Non-Turbo SolusCast and Emerald settings go to a higher resolution. The last SolusCast was the normal (yet still faster than Emerald) settings at 20 which came out pretty smooth. One of the SolusCast prints filled in the tire treads on the sides a little, I think that was Turbo print. That was obviously bleed and I'm sure setting adjustments would solve that.

All Solus resins print amazingly smooth. There's none better, no question.

Also, thank you to everyone for commenting. It did take a lot of time this weekend and expense but I'm glad I did it. I do wish someone else would have done it first, lol.
A.Joa1
Novice

Postby A.Joa1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:50 pm

I agree with the opinion that " is all about the curing". Based on my experience and also after reading the Santa Fe Symposium paper on curing resins with a vacuum oven (thinking of getting one) curing,when casting resins, is everything assuming that you are an experienced caster.
I had (a couple of times) the same experience with another user here in the forum mentioned some time ago when i casted a ring after 1 month after it was printed and it would cast flawlessly. Initially the ring was normally cured but was left there in the bench for 1 month. The same ring even 2 days under melody susie (bypassed the timer) would not cast flawlessly. Obviously resin continues to cure as time goes by until fully cured and when fully cured it casts like wax.
So Emil, based on what observations you say that microwaving is ineffective for this resin? Maybe if we can understand how this resin is best cured we will be confident in casting it without any defects.
Christian K.
Novice

Postby Christian K. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Thank you printcast !!!

We started with the emerald resin half year ago. We tried a lot of burnout chudules. Now we use nearly the same chedule as you do! it's really nice to see how good the casts are now !!! , We also add boric acid (3% in the distilled water, how much do you add?) And it a big difference! We are normally 5 flasks a day, and we do not have time to try everything again. we need constantly perfect results. We are now very satisfied with the emerald green resin, just perfect! we have built our own curing oven, which works with LED strips. no problems at all.
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm pretty small. My jewelry is nights and weekends and was started as a way to fund a private pilot license and plane. Some weeks I do 3 or 4 cast with 1 or 2 ring, some weeks none. I do a lot of flat engraving work, that's 90% of my business. It would be nice to do a lot more casting and I'm working on that.

At one point there were 2ea B9 V1.2 creators in my shop, they were HORRIBLE and I mean HORRIBLE. Out of 1000 prints maybe 2 came out as nice as my Solus does every single time. Solus is a great great machine. Software and support are also great. Their Resins print incredible smooth.

I use 2gram of boric acid in 4.6oz of distilled water. Sometimes 1gram in that 4.6oz. Sometimes no boric acid at all. I always use a magnetic stir machine for the boric and water. Most times I chill the boric and water because that combo speed up the hardening process chilled water helps slow it back down. 2grams really sucks because it does turn the investment into concrete and you will have to dig out your cast with a screwdriver but sometimes concrete is needed to cast proper.

My burnout now is a little long. That can probably be knocked down to 8, maybe 6 hours. That will be worked on soon. I was very impressed with the Plasticast and boric getting to 1500F. That a good high temp to totally clean out resin. I'm going to trty 1500F without boric for my next job.

One more thing on boric. Without boric those nostrils probably do not hold up. That investment must have looked like 2 tiny needles and look at the wall between the nostrils. Seriously that is less than paper thin. I took that investment to 1500F and it held. That's incredible!
Attachments
DSC01097.JPG