Casting SolusCast

Discuss casting techniques
Jewelermdt
Solus Master
Re: Casting SolusCast

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:50 am

I also want to say I appreciate everyone posting about their procedures on curing and casting. I bought a bottle of the SC resin, just have been crazy busy. I hope to try it out this week. I will post my results. I'm usually rushing to get things done and forget to take picts.

Hope all had a great weekend. Help those in Texas if you can. Hope Irma stays the heck away from US
dcpattni
Novice

Postby dcpattni » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 am

Hello,

Can soluscast clean with tap water with ultrasonic?
Out countrys strictly ban IPA.
Emerald resin I clean plain tap water in ultrasonic till it milky goes out..then put inside water for UV nail box for 8-10hours.
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:02 am

So rsaldivar, I did look back to make sure you did in fact offer to buy my SolcuCast if I didn't like it. Attached is a clip where without me asking you offered to buy mine if I didn't like it. I'm not liking it, would you like my paypal address?

Postby rsaldivar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:34 am
Attachments
Capture.JPG
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 am

printcast What was your curing method?

I make molds from my prints sometimes and last week I made a mold from SolusCast and had one small area of the mold that did not fully harden.
For the most part 95% of the mold was fine.
I am beginning to think that the SolusCast may just take more time to cure or I am not using a strong curing Unit for this resin.
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Storen What was your curing method?

Thanks in advance.
Storen
Novice

Postby Storen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:09 pm

A.Joa1 wrote:Based on my experience and also after reading the Santa Fe Symposium paper on curing resins with a vacuum oven (thinking of getting one) curing,when casting resins, is everything

Do you know how strong vacuum has to be for the oven to cure effectively?

eg123 wrote:Storen What was your curing method?

For these tests I basically followed the instructions that came with the resin. That was the point of the exercise.

For the first test:
- Cleaned the model by dipping in 91% IPA for a min.
- Dried the model
- Cured the model with UV for one hour. I have the small B9 UV oven. The timer is limited to 10min. so I turned the model 6 times to cure well from all sides.
- Did the same thing for one additional hour but in a glass bowl with the model completely submerged in water.

For the second test, in addition to the sequence above, I UV cured the model for one more hour (3h. total) vertical in water because I noticed the the investment is breaking mostly at the top portion of the ring.
Last edited by Storen on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 pm

No. Can you explain.
Are you using oven to cure the resin after printing and before Casting?
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 pm

I throw Emerald in alcohol for for 1min, sometimes 15mins (if I forget it's in there) then rinse with water, cure in UV light open air for a few mins, and then cure with print in water under UV for at least 30 mins and my cast come out flawless.

All you need is alcohol, water, and fingernail polish curing UV boxes and maybe an hour. It doesn't take special vacuum equipment. My opinion, that is way overkilling it.
Storen
Novice

Postby Storen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:28 pm

printcast wrote:Storen,

I throw Emerald in alcohol for for 1min, sometimes 15mins (if I forget it's in there) then rinse with water, cure in UV light open air for a few mins, and then cure with print in water under UV for at least 30 mins and my cast come out flawless.

All you need is alcohol, water, and fingernail polish curing UV boxes and maybe an hour. It doesn't take special equipment. My opinion, that is way overkilling it. You just don't need that but if you have the extra money to spend and it make you feel more confident, great but your cast aren't going to be any better than mine without that.

I agree completely. I've never used Emerald but from what I've read on the b9's forums, what you are describing should be more than enough for their resin.

My test was only focused on SolusCast and the printed instructions that came with it.
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Thank You guys for your feedback.