Casting SolusCast

Discuss casting techniques
rsaldivar
Solus Master
Re: Casting SolusCast

Postby rsaldivar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:36 am

Storen , Im sorry you feel that way and I dont want anyone to feel they should'nt share there experience we should all be here to help one another , but so you can understand the drama ,

on page one of this thread
"Just to prove to myself and others. I will cast 1ea SolusCast and 1ea Emerald in the same flask for comparison. I will take a pic of the resins in the tree and pics of the tree after casting. If that comes out like these I will go back to find the guy who said he would buy my SolusCast if I didn't like it to see if he is a man of his word. My guess is that he is not. "

on page two
"I am going to ask to return SolusCast. If it is not acceptable I will look up the guy that told me he would purchase my SolusCast if I didn't like it. We'll see how honorable he is."

on page four
"So rsaldivar, I did look back to make sure you did in fact offer to buy my SolcuCast if I didn't like it. Attached is a clip where without me asking you offered to buy mine if I didn't like it. I'm not liking it, would you like my paypal address? "

Storen ,its hard for me to be called a lie'r and not respond , I think those kind of comments are not productive to our sharing of our experiences and are uncalled for , that doesnt help with getting better casting results , but maybe youll understand more if someone says your not a man of your word .
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:35 am

I didn't call you a lair when I said we'll see if the guy who offered to but the SolusCast if I didn't like it. I questioned if you would back your offer, you did. I have complete respect for you, for that. Again, I don't have any hard feelings here at all.

You did buy it. You are a man of your word. You did do exactly what you offered to do. rsaldivar, did offered to buy my Soluscast resin and he did without any hesitation. He is a stand up guy and a man of his word.

You are getting a virtual full bottle of SolusCast for 2/3 the cost. That is a pretty good deal for you too.

When you do that cast PLEASE tell us the process so we can cast it too. I'm sure people like Storen who have SolusCast will benefit greatly and once I see others successful casting with it I'll jump back on. I have to buy resin and would much rather SolusCast get that business.

rsaldivar, if you message me your address I'll get this mailed out.
wawatobi
Novice

Postby wawatobi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:40 am

I used plasticast but I only went up to 1375 for 2.75 hours. I cast 10k, 14k and silver. The silver flask had 10 items 1.5 mm thick. Every one of the pieces was a total loss. The imperfections were all below the original surface which means they were all
the result of ash. If the investment had broken away, you would have cast metal outside the original surface where the investment had broken away together with inclusions where the broken investment lodged in the cast metal. The "printcast" castings showed investment breakdown because the the cast metal was above the original model surface. There may have been ash inclusions as well but the main problem is investment breakdown. Also, the first two rings shown by Monger are not what I consider good. My experience is that when I go over 1400 degrees with plasticast I get problems.
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Small update:

I reprinted the class ring again, UV cured overnight, still had resin smell and slight tackiness.

Vacuum oven cured at 120F for 2 hours and no cracks, no smell, feels 100% cured!

I ordered up some fresh Satincast 20 and will follow Monger's burnout schedule to a T.

Had to take Friday off, so I will be investing tomorrow, overnight burnout and will cast Tuesday morning.

I'll update then good or bad.
kostyo
Novice

Postby kostyo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:27 pm

wawatobi wrote:I used plasticast but I only went up to 1375 for 2.75 hours. I cast 10k, 14k and silver. The silver flask had 10 items 1.5 mm thick. Every one of the pieces was a total loss. The imperfections were all below the original surface which means they were all
the result of ash. If the investment had broken away, you would have cast metal outside the original surface where the investment had broken away together with inclusions where the broken investment lodged in the cast metal. The "printcast" castings showed investment breakdown because the the cast metal was above the original model surface. There may have been ash inclusions as well but the main problem is investment breakdown. Also, the first two rings shown by Monger are not what I consider good. My experience is that when I go over 1400 degrees with plasticast I get problems.

I had the same problem as @printcast
I do not try SC but Epic M but the surface on my rings had the same defect as the printcast on SC
I've changed my cure program completely
I used 100w chip 405nm .... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Po ... 0.0.9okBHr
should cool very well.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-piece ... 0.0.qj7Jt1
place it all on a simple ram with a glossy sheet and a mirror from below.

I cured 3x20min and my model was completely different in color and hard as rock.
and the result after casting was fantastic ..... no ash, no defect.

I used almost the same burnout as printcast
small flask 200g plasticast ratio 100:36
4h to hardening the investment
warm the furnace on 300
2h in 300
1h in 700
2h in 1470

I would like to thank the printcast very much for his contributions, as well as for all others who publish their practices.

THANKS
A.Joa1
Novice

Postby A.Joa1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:02 pm

KennyB wrote:Small update:

I reprinted the class ring again, UV cured overnight, still had resin smell and slight tackiness.

Vacuum oven cured at 120F for 2 hours and no cracks, no smell, feels 100% cured!

I ordered up some fresh Satincast 20 and will follow Monger's burnout schedule to a T.

Had to take Friday off, so I will be investing tomorrow, overnight burnout and will cast Tuesday morning.

Good to hear Kenny.

A lot of us are waiting for the results of this vacuum+uv cure casting.

i would have gone down the temperature a bit more gradually at first, 170F lets say, to slowly find the temp where you get no cracks. It looks like each resin is different.

I place the Emerald in normal oven at 100 Celsius/ 212F for 2 hours and get no cracks. Even when making molds, Emerald can take 155-160 Celsius without skin cracks. With SolusProto at 145 Celsius under the vulcanizer you get skin cracks making the mold useless.

Keep up the updates.
nillard
Novice

Postby nillard » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm

How did it turn out?

KennyB wrote:Small update:

KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Well, the results of today's casting are in and they are not good. Class ring in sterling and another ladies band in 14KY.

Did everything by the book with the exception of not having a proper cure box. Guess that makes all the difference because both castings were the worst I've ever had by far.

I'll make the switch back to emerald because I'm out of experiment time.

If and when the boss orders me a cure box, I'll revisit the SolusCast but for now, I'm out. :D
Attachments
casting.jpg
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:23 pm

KennyB
Yes the Solus UV cure box works best for this resin.
I received a 2hr cured sample from Emil and compared it to my 2hr cure and mine needed more curing.
Hope your boss gets you one soon.
A.Joa1
Novice

Postby A.Joa1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Wow! that is a really bad casting.

So vacuum curing does not work for this resin.

Thanks Kenny for the update.