Casting SolusCast

Discuss casting techniques
Storen
Novice
Casting SolusCast

Postby Storen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Has anyone had a chance to try casting SolusCast yet? What are your impressions? Have you had any problems? How would you compare the results with these of B9's Emerald?
printcast
Solus Expert

Re: Casting SolusCast

Postby printcast » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:07 am

Just made my first print using the turbo settings which is about 1/3 faster than the same done with Emerald. I did print a little finer with emerald but the time savings is significant. The print came out amazingly smooth. Will post pics soon. This ring will be cast this weekend. With emerald I nearly always get great cast. I hope SolusCast cast well. I'm very impressed so far.

I hope SolusCast cast well so I don't have to hear about all the things I've done wrong after casting emerald with an extremely high success rate since that came out.

It prints perfect, the turbo setting is amazing, the most important things - casting is to be seen soon.
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

OK, so the SolusCast did not cast well.

These two rings are the same stl file. The clean on is B9 emerald the bad one is SolusCast.

You can see the emerald has a bad tire tread on the right under the "D". That nearly never happens but you can see the Soluscast is completely destroyed. The emerald was burnt out with my resin burnout cycle the SolusCast was burnt out with the much shorter SolusCast burnout cycle. I'm going to try the SolusCast with my resin burnout cycle.

Both prints were perfectly cured, there is no problem with my curing process.
Attachments
DSC01072.JPG
Dieter
Novice

Postby Dieter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Can you share us you're burnout cycle for these resins? Emarald and SolusCast please...
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Wow Jim. I must say, I've been test casting this resin for the past year, with various casting shops in LA, on the east coast, and Europe, and never seen anything like that. Not even with the very first rough version of the resin. What kind of metal is that? Why is it black? Something obviously went wrong. I'm not a caster, but it does look like an incomplete burnout to me.

Just got these castings in a few days ago. These are raw castings. Magnetic tumble only. Using satincast investment, and using the recommended burnout.

1D31D8F1-F1F5-48A0-898C-6058A856B7EA.JPG

76B9B6A0-EC74-4008-8873-C490DE4C9AA1.JPG

246CF09F-C090-4A83-B23B-CB9F6EBA943F.JPG

203760E0-8621-4378-A788-B0FC01F9BF4D.JPG
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 pm

It black is from wire brushing off investment. Both of those are sterling.

I'm not stressing over the SolusCast, cast just yet. It was posted because I said it would be good or bad. That burnout that came with in the package was the first time using that cycle. It will be cast again tomorrow with my standard resin burnout cycle. If that doesn't work I'll do the exact same process with an emerald print and a SolusCast print in the same flask.

Dieter - Yes I will tomorrow. I'm out for the day today.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:41 am

In the first two rings, eng and band, the miligrain/beads aren't sharp. I see some bleed into each other. The shanks look fantastic as do the bottom two rings. I have yet to try my SC resin.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:45 am

Which investment did you use, Jim?
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:47 pm

That investment was Prestige Optima. Optima was selected for it's compatibility with Resin and plastic patterns.

In just a few mins I'm casting with R&R Plasticast. I use Plasticast much more often and am more confident with it. If this cast with SolusCast fails I will cast with 1 Emerald and 1 SolusCast in the same flask so that all things are exactly equal.

What seems to have happened with the first cast using Optima is SolusCast expansion during burnout destroyed the investment. Again that was with the burnout schedule that came with SolusCast which I have never used also with Optima that I am a little less confident in than Plasticast.

The cast in a few minutes is with my standard resin burnout schedule with Plasticast investment. This is exactly how I cast nearly all my Emerald since it was introduced with a very high success rate. Even the failed prints using Emerald are not bad fails, just some minor flaw in a critical spot that would be more difficult to repair vs starting over.

So, SolusCast with my standard proven, tried, tested many times with Emerald burnout schedule using Plasticast also proven, tried, tested many times with emerald. I am going to cast right now.
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 pm

The right side is SolusCast the left is Emerald. The Emerald and the top right are pics of the rings attached in the message above. The low right is the new SolusCast with my standard resin burnout invested in my most used investment Plasticast.

Each SolusCast was cast using 2 different high quality investments made to work with resin and plastic models. I am very confident that all curing was done correctly, that my processes are perfectly sound, and there is not issues with my casting process. I'm not perfect I can make mistakes but in this case the casting process was done perfectly. In my cast SolusCast fail rate is 100% and it's not a minor fail, unfortunately.
I seriously wanted SolusCast to cast perfectly. Solus, In my option makes the best printer on the market. The machine is bullet proof. I've owned 2 B9 creator 1.2 machines and the were not even close to the Solus machine. I absolutely love my Solus machine, it is flawless! In my opinion SolusCast is not ready. If SolusCast requires a more perfect process with a specific investment it's far to finicky for me.

Just to prove to myself and others. I will cast 1ea SolusCast and 1ea Emerald in the same flask for comparison. I will take a pic of the resins in the tree and pics of the tree after casting. If that comes out like these I will go back to find the guy who said he would buy my SolusCast if I didn't like it to see if he is a man of his word. My guess is that he is not.

If others are casting SolusCast with success PLEASE post pics of the resin IN THE TREE and after casting IN THE TREE and PLEASE share your successful process. I am not trying to beat up on Solus or SolusCast I want this to work but we have to keep it real. It's far worse to sell people on things the never can achieve.
Attachments
DSC01081.JPG
DSC01080.JPG