Solus Wax Issues

Discuss casting techniques
meshmaker
Novice
Solus Wax Issues

Postby meshmaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 pm

My trials have been hit and miss so far. The white gold ring was my first attempt using this resin. It was cured for 30 min and burned out with a slow ramp. This casting was salvageable but it did have a section on the shank that did not come out. Not sure if this is investment breakdown (optima) or a resin related issue.

The next batch had different results. The two yellow gold rings came out good, although one better than the other. The one with the 3 dots had been cured for 20 min and had no surface defects. Ramped straight to 1450, held for 4 hrs then down to casting temp. The other one had not been cured and had a small section of pitting toward the base of the shank.

The gents ring is silver. This one did not cast well at all and will need to be redone. It was cured for 20 minutes and ran through the furnace with the yellow gold flasks. Straight to 1450 for 4 hrs then down to casting temp. 800F. I will try not curing and see what results that brings.

The rose gold came out good. Ran through with other flasks. No cure time. Other than the grow lines which is a separate issue. (Anyone have any ideas on this?)

It seems the heavier items are not casting for me for some reason. I'm not sure if it's a resin or investment/burnout issue. Mixing at 38 to 100. I've read some mix boric acid into their mix. Wondering what effects this might have with this particular resin. Any other suggestions?
Attachments
white.jpg
yellow.jpg
silver.jpg
rose.jpg
Chalamba
Novice

Re: Solus Wax Issues

Postby Chalamba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:59 pm

What casting mashine do you use?
meshmaker
Novice

Postby meshmaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Natural gas torch and centrifugal with vacuum assist. Old school I know but have been casting b9 emerald with no issues.
Chalamba
Novice

Postby Chalamba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:01 pm

The spreu base looked very interesting, thats why i asked can you post a picture of the equipment. Just out of curiosuty.
Thank you!
meshmaker
Novice

Postby meshmaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:24 pm

The button doesn't have anything to do with the casting machine necassarily. It's just the shape of the rubber base we use when investing. I honestly would like to get some different ones as these have more surface area than I would like.

My grandpa developed this vacuum system back in the '70's. It hooks up to any centrifugal machine. The white hose goes to a valve that is hooked up to a vacuum and the black hose goes to the back of the casting machine where the flask sits. The solenoid allows air flow without catching on the arm. He tried to market it back in the day, even had patents done, but didn't have any luck. The black and white photo is one of the original systems and sits above my desk to remind me how much money we didn't make.

We have a box full of these valves around here somewhere if you want to try it out :D
Attachments
20180720_134106_resized.jpg
20180720_134256_resized.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 pm

The lines on the prints could be from your bulb having too many hours. Try increasing the exposure time a bit.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks for sharing Meshmaker.
Chalamba
Novice

Postby Chalamba » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:02 am

Meshmaker - i am impressed!
I have never even heard about this casting method, do you think it improves the results?
Unfortunately i have a vertical centrifugal, and i dont see a way to install it.
Every day i learn something.
Unfortunatly i still have not tried the wax resin and can not be of any help.
meshmaker
Novice

Postby meshmaker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Chalamba wrote:Meshmaker - i am impressed!
I have never even heard about this casting method, do you think it improves the results?
Unfortunately i have a vertical centrifugal, and i dont see a way to install it.
Every day i learn something.
Unfortunatly i still have not tried the wax resin and can not be of any help.

I wish I could take some of the credit but this was developed before my time. But thank you.

Absolutely it helps. We use vent rods in the flask as well to help with air flow and suction. There is a point where the vacuum has minimal effect if you mix your investment too thick. But I suppose that is true with all vacuum type setups. Castings usually come out very clean though. Except for these of course, haha. I've never tried it on a vertical arm but the concept should still be the same.

Emil, I will try that. Not sure how many hours I've got on this bulb but it probably is getting up there. I also re-calibrated my grid so we'll see how it goes.
lklutts
Solus Expert

Postby lklutts » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Dont know what caused this. I let my investment sit for 5 hours after I invest, then up to 1450 for 3 hours. Down to cast of 750 for a couple hours to make sure it gets to proper temp. I really have had no problems. I did experiment this week and threw a flask in the oven about 45 minutes after I invested for the heck of it. Shot it up to 1450, then cast temp. Actually came out useable, the shank at the bottom had a little roughness. Remelted before I took a picture. But now I know if I have to I can.