Erics paper on resin casting at the santa Fe Symposium

Discuss casting techniques
nzfinescale
Novice
Re: Erics paper on resin casting at the santa Fe Symposium

Postby nzfinescale » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 pm

I've been doing NO uv cure (other than incidental ambient light) and following the 10 minute boil procedure for nearly 6 months and hundreds of castings.

Best results I've ever had. The process has gone from marginal to acceptable (at worst) or superb (at best). I don't control my casting as it is outsourced and the remaining issues I have are not really around burnout of resin and casting, but more around geometries that result in investment failure (ie my model design).

The paper presents a reasoned discussion with rational conclusions as to causes and effects. The fact that the work may be supported by a commercial entity and that it may, in the future, be superceeded does not invalidate it. That is how the vast majority of R&D is done.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:34 am

Can you boil Solus Wax resin??
I really don't want to buy another cure box for home. I print at the store and sometimes I need to leave right after the print is done. But need to get it invested ASAP.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:09 am

At one time when I was promoting microwaving and boiling the b9green resin Eric and that crew were adamantly against it. Wonder what changed there minds? We were doing it way before they were. I think the most important thing is to not skip steps and don't rush the process. I haven't had a failed casting in 3 years and haven't changed a thing in our process.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes, Mark was the first to do the whole microwave water boiling thing. Works extremely well with the emerald resin.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Not all resins react the same to the microwave in oil/boiling water method, so it isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

I guess having some sort of empirical testing to back a claim always goes a long way to supporting said claim. The lay-man doesn't know much about the cured resin chemistry and how the forces acting upon resin behave under different curing methods. This kinda dabbles in both chemistry and engineering mechanics so you gotta be a doctor or something to figure it all out. ;-)
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:57 pm

so, NO , you cant boil soluswax , the green has no wax and the soluswax obviously does , the high temp. will melt the wax , but you can boil the solucast (the blue) however no alcohol or will crack , Also I dont know who started the microwave thing first but this is a little different because its water not oil for starters , sec. that was a 3 intervals of 3 min. (or so) , as I understand it , before the thinking was about how to cure the best , where as now the thinking is more , reliving the stress in the model , now - start from room temp water to boil ( slower form of reaching boil ) as an addition to reliving stress , another belief is that the boiling extracts surface contaminate in the resin that interfere with the investment process but I guess are necessary for rapid prototyping ( growing the resin ) those get washed away , I do agree that although similar in methods , the propose are much different , I also agree that not all methods are for all applications , twerking is always a factor for you particular shop .

Having said that , I dont see why you would want to biol the SW , Iv had nothing but great castings with it , I do believe that the higher purified alcohol plays an important role in good casting , and the fact that I dont leave my prints in the ISO solution more than 2 min. , doing a 30 to 40 sec. wash in 3 diff. containers , 5 min. cure and , tree / into oven / cast , all with in the same day or from one day to the next , with a straight ramp from 0 to 1450 and down to 800 for casting 14k yellow , dont know whats in this SW resin stuff , but if the reason for boiling is "stress relief " then this was formulated with little to no stress
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:50 pm

The problems with most resins is the reaction the resin has with the porous investment. Boiling or microwaving not only relives stress but removes any excess resin that might be inside of crevices in fine detail, around prongs, on the surface etc. You can not fully remove all the uncured resin from all the surfaces. This is where microwaving in water or boiling really shines. Of course this wont work on all resins but it does work particularity well on the Emerald resin. This is another reason i have always promoted a fast ramp up with the green and some other resins. The faster you can remove the resin from the cavity without damaging the investment the better your castings will be. Once again skipping or rushing steps and not taking care with your prints, Investing procedures, casting process, etc will cause problems with your casting.

Now if you are using Dental Investment with a catalyst you can just about get by with anything.